Homes with Swimming Pools
Nothing destroys the happiness of the summer season like the untimely death of a friend or loved one in a swimming pool. What is supposed to be a carefree dream of backyard barbecues, the sound of children playing, and the aquamarine glow of a pool at night can suddenly become a nightmare.
A pool is a great luxury item on a home, but with the pleasure comes the responsibility to maintain a safe environment for everyone who enjoys it. Did you know that an average of 390 children ages 0 – 14 die in pool and spa drowning each year? Roughly 5,200 more are treated for injuries in emergency rooms.
Simple steps save lives. I recently found this excellent resource regarding pool safety, and wanted to share it with everyone. The website is called “Pool Safely” and is located at www.poolsafely.gov.
From the website (for residential pool and spa owners), these crucial questions:
– Is there a fence around the perimeter of your pool or spa?
– Are there self-closing and self-latching gates?
– Are there door, gate or pool alarms in use?
– Does your pool have anti-entrapment drain covers that are compliant with the P&SS Act?
– Are all pool and spa covers in working order?
– Has the public pool or spa you use been inspected to ensure it is compliant with federal, state and local laws?
– Has someone in the family received training in CPR, first aid and emergency response?
– Has everyone learned to swim?
I urge you to learn more about how to address these questions. There are great resources on the site for parents and kids.
Let’s swim safely this summer!
Are you looking to buy or sell a home with a pool? I’d be glad to help you! Please get in touch:
941-737-6562 or 813-944-2908